Minutes from the Dixie Zone Annual Meeting
- Committee: Dixie Zone
- Date: 2001
- Recorder: Lisa Watson
- Chair: June Krauser:
- Committee Members present: 25
1. Zone Championships for 2002 were awarded to the following bidders:
Carter's Lake (Georgia)-Open Water; Clearwater, Florida-SCY; Anderson, SC-SCM;
& Greenville, SC- LCM.
2. June Krauser was re-elected as Chair for the Dixie Zone Committee.
ZONE SPECIFIC TASKS
1. Financial Report
- The financial report was given and is included with the minutes.
- Four Dixie Zone newsletters were mailed out to all Dixie Zone clubs,
convention delegates, and Dixie Zone LMSC Chairmen and newsletter editors.
3. Top Ten Times
- The Dixie Zone SCY Top Ten for 2001 is now available on the Dixie Zone
web-site: www.dixiezone.org. 2000 SCM and LCM are also available. Thanks
to Dick Brewer for maintaining the website and to Dick and Ed Saltzman
for compiling the Top Ten.
- Dixie Zone records have been updated by Dick Brewer and Ed Saltzman.
5. Zone Meets
- The three 2001 Zone Championship meets were:
- SCY- Auburn, Alabama-Feb 18&19 205 swimmers
- LCM- Sarasota, Florida-June 23-24 152 swimmers; 1st day cancelled
due to lightning
- SCM- Anderson, SC-November 10-11 177 swimmers
- Also held for the first was the 1st annual Dixie Zone Open Water Championship
at Buford Dam in Georgia, which was very successful, with 63 swimmers.
6. Top Ten Patches
- Debbie Cavanaugh reported that not many people have ordered patches
and there is an ample supply available. LMSC's are urged to put a reminder
in upcoming newsletters that people making Dixie Zone Top Ten can order
patches from Debbie. A reminder will also be placed in the Dixie Zone
newsletter. Debbie can be emailed at: firstname.lastname@example.org
ZONE ACTIVITIES FOR 2001-2002
1. Championship Meet Bids
- Zone Championships for 2002 were awarded to the following bidders:
Carter's Lake (Georgia)-Open Water; Clearwater, Florida-SCY; Anderson,
SC-SCM; & Greenville, SC-LCM. The Greenville bid is tentative, due
to a schedule conflict with the Open Water Championship, which hopefully
will be resolved. Dates are:
- SCY- Feb 9&10
- LCM- TBA
- Open H20- July 28
- SCM- November
2. 2002 Calendar
- A working calendar was devised for the 2002 year. Changes will be made
as the need arises.
- January 26-27 -- Charlotte, NC SCY
- February 9-10 -- Clearwater, Fl SCY DIXIE ZONE CHAMPIONSHIP
- February 16-17 -- Auburn, Al SCY
- March 16-17 -- St Patrick's Day SCY Invitational Atlanta, Georgia
- March 17 -- Clearwater, Fl Senior Games LCM
- April 6-7 -- St Petersburg, Fl SCY
- April 13-14 -- Raleigh, NC
- April 18-21 -- YMCA SCY Nationals Ft Lauderdale, Fl
- May 4-5 -- Ft Pierce, Fl SCY
- May 4 -- Ft Yargo Open Water Swim (tentative date)
- May 15-18 -- USMS SC NATIONALS University of Hawaii
- June 1 -- Athens, Ga LCM
- June 8 -- Clemson, SC USMS 10k Open Water Championships
- June 21-23 -- Brunswick, Ga LCM (tentative dates)
- July ? -- Greenville, SC DIXIE ZONE LCM CHAMPIONSHIPS (tentative)
- July 28 -- Carters Lake, Ga DIXIE ZONE OPEN WATER CHAMPIONSHIPS
- August 15-18 -- USMS LC NATIONALS Cleveland, Ohio
- September 7 -- Buford Dam, Ga Open Water (tentative date)
- October 5-6 -- Orlando, Fl SCM
- October -25-27 -- St Croix Open Water
- November TBA -- Anderson,SC DIXIE ZONE SCM CHAMPIONSHIPS
- December 7-8 -- St Nicholas SCM Invitational Marietta, Ga
COACHES MENTOR PROGRAM
Scott Rabalais reported that the Coaches Mentor Program has been very
successful. Questions were asked about the Open Water Clinics provided by
USMS, in which a top swimmer will be brought out to conduct a clinic held
in conjunction with an open water swim. Interested people should contact
Dan Gray at email@example.com.
FUTURE DIRECTION OF ZONES
The Zones continue to be valuable to the success of USMS.
DISCUSSION OF "HOT" CONVENTION TOPICS
1. Coaches Committee
- Committee Chair Scott Rabalais reported that the Coaches Committee
budget has been increased to provide the following additional services
- --- fund coaches to attended the ASCA World Clinic held each year
- --- establish a scholarship fund to help send coaches to the USMS Convention
- --- have 3 coaches post various workouts on the USMS website as a free
2. USA Games 2003
- Hill Carrow gave an update on the upcoming 2003 USA Games which will
be held in Raleigh, North Carolina in June and will include 15 sports.
USMS swimmers are encouraged to attend. The swim portion will be SCM and
will offer prelims and finals.
ELECTION OF ZONE REPRESENTATIVE
- June Krauser was re-elected as Chair for the Dixie Zone Committee.
The committee commends June on her continuous service to our zone.
- The controversy concerning accessing USMS members birthdates on the
web was discussed. Carl House has developed a code, so that this information
will remain confidential.