Minutes from the Dixie Zone Annual Meeting
- Committee: Dixie Zone
- Date: September 13, 1996
- Recorder: Lisa Watson
- Chair: June Krauser
- Committee Members present: 29
In attendance: 17 voting members: June Krauser (FGC), Bill Black
(GA), Mary Lee Watson (SE), Jerry Glancy (FL), Harold Ferris (FL), Charles
Kohnken (FL), rocky Motter (SE), Jean Fox (SE), Bill Lotz (GA), Anne McGuire
(FGC), Lil Haneman (FGC), Joe Kurtzman (SC), Scott Rabalais (SO), Randy
Nutt (FGC), Lisa Watson (GA), George Simon (NC), Ceil Blackwell (NC), Ernie
Leskovitz (FGC). 12 non-voting members: Diane Black (GA), Jenny Hanson (SE),
Larry Peck (FL), Joan Glaraton (FL), Frank Tillotson (FL), Katie Cooper
(FL), Rick Harris (SE), Steven Fair (SE), Gloria & Ken Nemet (FGC),
Judy Bonning (FGC), Rorie Anderson (FGC), Carl House (FGC).
Financial: The financial statement
was reviewed by June and is enclosed also in the minutes.
Newsletter: June asked for feedback on the Zone newsletter. Randy
Nutt suggested that the LMSCs solicit input from coaches to publish in the
Top Ten/Records: This report was given by Rocky Motter. Rocky
asked that the LMSCs make sure that meet managers put meet results in the
proper format when sending in results; she has had some problems with that.
Ceil Blackwell suggested that improper results be sent back to the meet
managers: the correct format is listed in the rule book. The Dixie Zone
agreed to have team designations included in the Top Ten results. Rocky
also stressed the importance of having swimmers put their proper team abbreviation
on meet entries, which is on their USMS card.
Championship Bids: Bids were awarded for the 1997 Zone Championships.
- SCY - Ft. Lauderdale FL, April 18-20, 1997. Meet director Stu Marvin
proposed making this a dual Zone meet with Colony & Dixie Zones competing.
The Dixie Zone unanimously agreed.
- LCM - Baton Rouge LA, July 25-27, 1997
- SCM - Anderson SC, November 1-2, 1997
Calendar: The Dixie Zone LMSCs gave dates for their upcoming meets.
- North Carolina
- Charlotte SCM, November 2, 1996
- Charlotte SCY, January 25-26, 1997
- Raleigh SCY, April 19-20
- South Carolina
- Anderson SCM, November 9-10, 1996
- Charleston SCY, February 8-9, 1997
- Greenville LCM, July 5-6, 1997
- Baton Rouge SCY, November 16, 1996 Pentathlon
- Fitness Challenge, February 1997
- Florida Gold Coast
- Coral Springs SCM, December 6-8, 1996
- Key West Swim, June, 1997
- Orlando SCM, October 11-13, 1996 *Dixie Zone Ch.
- Winter Haven SCY - November 2-3, 1996
- Clearwater SCY, February 15-16, 1997
- St. Petersburg SCY, April 4-6, 1997
- Ft. Pierce SCY, May 3-4, 1997
- Sarasota LCM, June 7-8, 1997
- St. Petersburg LCM, July 18-20, 1997
- Orlando LCM, April 14-18, 1997 *USMS LC Nationals
- Fairburn SCY, October 5, 1996
- Gainesville SCY, October 19, 1996
- Atlanta SCY, March 15-16, 1997
- Atlanta LCM, August 2-3 or 9-10, 1997
- Montgomery AL SCY, October 12-13, 1996 & October 11-12, 1997
- Pensacola FL SCY, November 23-24, 1996
Postal events, such as the 3000 swim and Hour Swim, will be listed in
- Randy Nutt reported from the Marketing Committee. LMSCs should encourage
their swimmers to use the USMS Masters card, stressing that this can produce
revenue for the LMSC and club. There is also a USMS calling card. Other
marketing items were a New Member Kit and Powerbars for meets.
- Carl House has computerized the Dixie Zone Top Ten and also established
a Web site which can now link us to the USMS home page. He gave a demonstration
of how this can be done. June reported from the Zone Committee that next
year will be an election year. LMSCs are asked to propose candidates for
next year's elections. Nominations are due February 28. Nominations are
also requested for Zone Committee Chairman.
- Randy Nutt reported that the Coaches Committee is giving $500 for each
zone to host at least 1 coaching clinic per year, with the intent of attracting
potential new coaches in the area. Randy proposed hosting a clinic in Coral
Springs. Bill Black wanted to hold a Mentor Clinic in Atlanta. The Dixie
Zone voted to divide the allotted funds between the two clinics.
- Mary Lee Watson and Scott Rabalais requested further input from the
LMSCs for SWIM magazine, for articles such as "Behind the Scenes"
and "Profiles in Courage."
- Mary Lee reminded the Zone that Nashville is bidding to host 1998 SC
Nationals and encouraged the Zone to support this bid.
- Bill Black proposed that the Dixie Zone have two Open Water Championships,
under 2 miles and over 2 miles. This proposal was approved and Atlanta
was awarded the 1997 bid for the Under 2 mile Championship. Randy Nutt
of Florida Gold Coast received the bid for the 1997 Over 2 mile Championship.
- The Dixie Zone sends their best wishes to Eileen Schappell, who was
unable to attend the convention due to illness.
The meeting was adjourned at 5 pm.
FINANCIAL STATEMENT, as of September 8, 1996
- $ 409.12 -- balance brough forward Sept. 22, 1995
- $ 124.00 -- Anderson SC dec. 4, 1995
- $ 192.00 -- Raleigh NC, April 29, 1996
- $ 119.00 -- Greenville SC (not yet received)
- $ 513.08 -- USMS reimbursement (not yet received)
$1,358.20 -- total
- $ 47.95 -- News (Oct-Dec) paper $5.71, 132 stamps $42.24
- $ 38.67 -- News (Jan-Mar) paper $6.67, 100 stamps $32.00
- $ 45.71 -- News (Apr-Jun) paper $6.67, 122 stamps $45.71
- $ 46.84 -- News (Jul-Sep) paper $6.84, 125 stamps $40.00
- $ 97.56 -- LCM Top Ten: paper $20.01, 141 stamps $77.55
- $161.35 -- SCM Top Ten: printing $101.23, 102 stamps $56.10, stickers
- $ 29.97 -- plaque
- $ 16.34 -- Recorder phone & postage
- $ 75.00 -- Convention registration
- $559.39 -- total
- $1358.20 -- income
- - 559.39 -- expenses
- $ 798.81 -- anticipated balance
- $-633.08 -- not yet received
- $ -75.00 -- not yet paid
- $240.73 -- band balance as of 09-08-96